Saturday, April 5, 2014

Elections

The nation is in the grip of Election fever ! And it is summer as well ! So temperatures are soaring ! The manifesto of AAP promises to lower  the age of poll candidates  to 21 years .I am in favour of lowering it further, to teen age .This is the sure shot way of channelising the hyperactive energy of teenagers &  their raging hormones ! Moreover ,teenagers  will fare better than our netas !

In the midst of all this ,my teenager announced,"Daddy,I am standing for elections ." Daddy ( aghast that AAP has come to power ...still they should have waited till my daughter's board exams were over before reducing the age ),"How can you ? " Teenager ," Group captain elections at school. " Daddy," You have to give board exams.Please give attention to that ." "Bye,Daddy ".Call disconnected.My teen does that.She is informing us....not seeking permission.Moreover ,my hubby never understood that his daughter has leadership potential.She dreams of being the Group Captain. Board exams and all be damned !

Next day,my daughter arrived home, with  a flushed face.I thought maybe it was the heat.Yes,I was right ,it was the heat, of school elections."Mama ,I was not selected.Last year,they never allowed girls of 9th std to stand for elections as even Vice Captains .This year ,they said ,only boys can stand for elections to Group Captains.It is so unfair.You know,the guy who won, was not even standing & then our Sir ( read Kingmaker ) told him & he stood up & won !  " .A pause & she continued ",.Atleast ,I stood for elections.Two of my classmates ,both girls, were not even allowed to stand.Only one of my girl classmate is group  vice captain now.All other vice & group captains are boys ".

At last she  nailed it ", ",I tell you ,our school elections are as unfair as the national elections.Mama,I am writing to the Princy ( read Principal ) that all this is unfair." I butted in ," Just one person writing is hardly going to make any difference ." My leader of a teenager," Mama,I will write it & it will be signed by all of us (read girls ) ." I know ,my kid is preparing for larger roles ...she is getting lessons in fairness,gender equality,etal !

This is the fifth post in the A to Z Blogging Challenge,2014.

Sharing blog posts of two of my fellow bloggers here :

Suzy Que

Prudhvi Latha



13 comments:

Vinay Leo R. said...

Sad to see the politics of politics coming into schools too. Our school didn't have unfairness. Twas two presidents, vice-presidents, house prefects etc. Only the sports captain and treasurer roles were single, and even then, the two who stood for elections to those positions were one girl and one boy :)

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Yeah,sadly unfairness raising its ugly head in school as well.It is not the same any more,Leo.

Shail said...

I love this daughter of yours. She has a very sensible head on her young shoulders. If only there were more like her! Give her a pat on the back from me and a 'kudos' as well.

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thanks,Shail Mohan ! I will surely tell her, that you endorse her.

Afshan Shaik said...

Your daughter is my new friend. Reminds me of my school days. IT is good to be rebellious when it is needed. I wish everyone signs :)
convey my personal wishes to her

Anonymous said...

She surely get my vote.....love this daughter of yours.....wishing her success and hope all sign :)

JANU said...

Hahaha...loved this. Told you Harini was the sorted kind. She knows what she is up to. Good for her.

Prathima Rao said...

If only her "teachers" had your daughter's sense of fairness and guts to stand up for what is right. Am saddened that these teachers are the ones who are moulding the next generation. Here's more power to your daughter.

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you all,Afshan,Jaibala & Janaki ! My daughter needs all your good wishes !

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you ,Prathima Rao.She says today nobody agreed to sign on the letter.They all will get selected for some post or another.
Academics is always on a pedestal, in schools, especially India.

ekta khetan said...

School POlitics. They are like that. Good that your daughter decided to raise her voice. All the best to her.

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you,i NumeroUnity ! I will definitely convey your best wishes to my daughter.

Sundari Venkatraman said...

Smart girl your daughter, definitely shows leadership qualities. Loved your post :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...