Friday, October 16, 2009

Dressing down.

I am a lazy person.I want to go to all places in my home clothes if I am given a choice.No,I am not in a gown whilst I am at home.I wear old,faded or what  you might call discolored cotton or khadi salwar kameez at home.This is a modest description-the salwar kameez is so bereft of color that one  might wonder as to how anybody can still wear it but then ,you know, I am like that only.At places, where it is still having some color,you will notice, that they are actually stains of turmeric,coffee,tea,etal.On second thoughts,this goes to prove, that, I am the cook in the house-that is, if, you have any doubts, after observing my culinary skills or rather lack of them.


I used to wear gowns at home like others whilst in College but outgrew them after I had to manage the home front.I found that if I am wearing a salwar kameez,it is easy to just don a chunri & get out of the house on sudden errands.This is not possible, if ,I am wearing a gown as I will have to change into something more decent & then you know, precious time is lost.Moreover,it makes economic sense to wear old salwar kameez at home. I am often at a loss as to their use after they have become faded & worn out.Moreover,gowns cost a reasonable amount & if I can avoid buying gowns,I can save a little.Some wear gowns as they find them to be more comfortable whilst doing housework in a hot & humid climate.But for me,this is a consideration which hardly matters as the economic benefits far outweigh any other concerns.I am being green this way, as I am recycling my old clothes.I am also promoting thrift by this action. I am organic as well,as I prefer to wear cotton.So,you see,the benefits far outweigh any loss or losses whatsoever.

I keep wearing the old salwar kameez till they are in tatters & then ,I try to use them as wipes for housework.Recently,I also borrowed old faded cotton trousers from my dad & got them altered for wearing at home.Trouser are fine when worn in winters as Mumbai is pleasant only for three months.Trousers serve another purpose-they come with pockets which can hold a mobile ,home keys,a small wallet etc.I find the trousers especially useful, as I can keep my mobile FM radio in the pockets & plug the earphones & enjoy music as I stroll in the evenings.


My friends & relatives continue to chide me for my dressing sense or rather its absence but, I am too laid back to even react to it.The result, is that sometimes,people do mistake me for the servant in maid but then,I have learnt to take all this in my stride as I go by the saying,"Simple living & high thinking ."

1 comment:

priyanka's said...

Hey vasu didi...

Firstly Happy Diwali to u and ur entire family!!

and Secondly same pinch coz we share the same home fashion sense... i also love my old faded salwar suits so much tht I wear them only at home...
they r more comfy... and economical too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...