Friday, April 25, 2014

Voting

Yesterday ,was the polling day in my city.Schools& offices were closed .I had received my voting slip.This voting slip is a xerox copy of my voter identity card. I am yet to receive my voter identity card.

I wanted to desperately vote this  time.Maybe, because I felt ,it was my duty or maybe I wanted my candidate to at least win the number of votes which will assure that he gets back his deposit from the Election Commission.

I left with my parents quite early in the morning by around seven thirty.

The polling booth was  in a nearby school.As we started walking to the polling booth,we spotted many youngsters sitting on chairs with tables in front.They were sitting outside our housing complex.They had booklets with names of voters on the tables & were busy in verifying names etc.We came across many such young people at work at some more places on our way.This is good, as the young ones are on the streets, doing something worthwhile.

We reached the school which was our polling booth centre.There were policemen posted in the premises.There was also a police jeep waiting outside the school gate with some more policemen.

We spotted two queues.We stood in the queue.My dad was told to join the queue for gents .He joined .He was pushed to the front as he is a senior citizen.This was done by the police constables who checked our voter slips.Someone started a row as to why some senior citizens are being pushed in front.The constables on duty understood  that this is kaliyug .Hence from then onwards,senior citizens just joined the queue without being pushed to the front.While all this,  was going on ,my mom had been pushed ahead in the queue as she too is a senior citizen. My parents finished their voting duty & came out.I asked them to return home.I was still some way behind.

Then ,the police constables said to the men in the gents queue to push ahead a little.Some men objected.They were of the opinion that gents queue must have been on the side  where ladies were standing as male voters were more & that ladies side was more airy.The constables decided to keep mum from then on.Some people are never happy with whatever arrangement id done.They will find faults galore,even if they were in utopia !

Finally ,my chance came.I showed my voter slip.My name was there in the voter's list .My finger was inked.I had to sign .Then I was directed to the enclosure where I could press the button.I pressed the red round button .Nothing happened.Then I pressed the blue elliptical shaped button.The red light blinked.My vote had been registered.I walked out & returned home !

I was thrilled that   after  many fruitless years of trying to get registered as a voter,I had managed to vote after successful registration !

This is the blog post for "V " for the A to Z Blogging Challenge.

Sharing blog posts of fellow bloggers :

Nabanita Dhar 

Rinzu Rajan

15 comments:

Deepa Iyer said...

Congratulations on your vote :) I was the 2nd in line in my booth and managed to get back home quickly. I am sure it can be more organized but TN largely had peaceful polling this time around.

Afshan Shaik said...

Congrats on ur vote.
I will miss my vote as I will be travelling ! :(
About that kalyug thing - ya all r impatient
Btw I like the way u connect day befores post every day :)

Prathima Rao said...

Glad you were able to cast your vote Vasudha.

Nabanita said...

Glad you were able to vote... I missed it being out of the country..

V for Violated-Random Thoughts Naba

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Yes,Deepa,polling was peaceful in Chennai as also Mumbai.Good that you were able to vote.Chennai surpassed Mumbai in voting.

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Afshan,

I had been preoccupied with this idea of linking blog posts before the A to Z challenge.I thought ,why not try it during the challenge .I have managed so far, however far fetched it may be.Is this a pun ?

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Yeah ,Prathima,I was able to vote .Trust, that the candidate gets his deposit back.

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Nabanita,

I voted & felt great ! I am sure,next elections ,you can vote.

Unknown said...

Well done...must feel great to exercise your right.

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you ,Janaki ! Yes,I did feel, that, I had done my duty.

Shail said...

Congratulations. :)

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I am so glad for you and for all that you stand for, to me! Congratulations! jean!

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you ,Shail !

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you,Jean!

Ghata said...

I am sure that's an awesome feeling!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...